5BONNACI

5BONNACI

Friday 9 May 2014

"Derek Sivers: How to start a movement" Reflection

I think followership is important because it shows that you are willing to adapt. If everyone insisted on being leaders all of the time, a majority of the things that we have today would have never been created. Followership shows that you can connect with others and are willing to support others. Like Mercedes said, I think followership also takes a good deal of humility. Being a follower is allowing someone else to make major decisions and often take a good deal of the credit, but being willing to follow and give support because it is something you are passionate about, or at least have an interest in.

I think that I would be a better follower if I followed the example of the leader and the first follower who nurtured a sense of equality. As a follower, I sometimes feel a strong need to appoint one person as the leader and define each of our roles. However, the leader in the video welcomed the first follower as his equal and then the first leader motioned to his friends to come join and become their equals as well. I think this is extremely important for me to remember because I either try too hard to define roles or I feel like everyone can’t be treated like equals, but I don’t think that’s entirely true. Or, I can make it my goal to make it true. The next time I think that some people are doing more than others, instead of resenting those that are not doing as much as everyone else, I can find ways for them to be equals and contribute the same as everyone else.

Malvin (27) 2E


No comments:

Post a Comment