5BONNACI

5BONNACI

Monday 20 January 2014

Reflection on past three lessons

1)From the past three lessons, I have learnt to analyse pictures. Through the exercise on deciding to help which beggar, I have learnt that we can not only believe in what we see and observe in the picture. The lady had easily passed off as a beggar when she was, in actual fact, a con artist that specially try and gain sympathy from naive tourists.

The exercise on the vulture and child affected me greatly. At one glance, I would just simply conclude that the picture was about a vulture waiting to eat a poor starving child. However, if you think deeper, you would start to question, why didn't the photographer help the poor child? Why did he spend time taking picture of the scene instead of getting help for the poor child. 

This also got me thinking, what is the purpose of taking this photo? Perhaps to greater emphasize to the world that there are many people starving in some countries while some of us are just wasting food? Focusing on this issue, I thought, did someone actually make a move to help these people?

From just a simple picture, many thoughts can be generated. Through analysis, we can understand the situation of the scene depicted in the picture and perhaps reflect on similar circumstances in Singapore, just like relating to the pictures of the two beggars. We can reflect on how poverty is like in Singapore. Maybe we don't see as much beggars in Singapore as compared to some countries, but there are definitely beggars and poor people in Singapore. Maybe it is time we reflect on how we can help the poor in Singapore, our own country.


2)my feeling/thoughts/experience of the upcoming Chinese New Year:

Colour: red~I have selected red colour as it symbolizes the occasion, Chinese New Year. It is also a tradition to use red for Chinese New Year.

Symbol:
 ~I always feel happy during Chinese New Year as I receive many red packets. I also get to eat traditional food that is only prepared during Chinese New Year. Celebrating Chinese New Year also means getting to wear new clothes. It is also when I get a break from doing homework. During Chinese New Year, I get to go back to Malaysia and visit my relatives that I see once a year. Hence Chinese New Year is a very special and enjoyable occasion to me.

Image:

In this image, the word "福" is shown. "福" also means happiness. I believe this word is often pasted in our homes during Chinese New Year. For my family, we believe that by doing so, we can pray for happiness for the whole family in the new year. It is a tradition for us. Hence, I think that this, in a way, represents the coming of a new year.

By Jia Rong

No comments:

Post a Comment